Steven Lingafelter, Bira Martins, and Jim Wappes
Miguel & Marcela Monné
About this Website
This website is a collaborative effort among several individuals. Julieta Ledezma Arias & José Luis Aramayo (Museo de Historia Natural Noel Kempff Mercado, Santa Cruz, Bolivia) provided access to the holotypes. James E. Wappes (San Antonio, TX) is the Bolivian Cerambycidae Project leader and took many of the type photographs. Steven W. Lingafelter (USDA) conceptualized the database and also took many of the type photographs. Miguel A. Monné (Museu Nacional Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) entered bibliographic information. Eugenio (Gino) Nearns (APHIS/PPQ/NIS) developed the website and prepared the online searchable database.
The MNKM currently has over 70 primary types for Cerambycoidea (families Cerambycidae, Disteniidae, Oxypeltidae, and Vesperidae). Authors of these types include Galileo, Lingafelter, and Martins. The types are predominantly of the Neotropical fauna. We have set up the search page to allow users to find images of types by tribe, by country, by author, by original name, or by current name if different. Classification is based on Monné (2005a, 2005b, 2006) and Monné & Bezark (2012).
As with any database, this is a work-in-progress, and will continue to be refined and enhanced indefinitely. We expect that this site, even in this early stage of development, will be immediately useful to the many researchers, port-identifiers, ecologists, and lay-persons worldwide interested in identifying adult longhorned woodboring beetles.
Wappes et al. (2006) Checklist of Bolivian Cerambycidae.
Wappes et al. (2009) List of Coleoptera Holotypes in MNKM.
You may also be interested in these Cerambycoid holotoype websites:
TITAN: Catalog of the Cerambycidae of the World
Catalogue of the Cerambycidae (Coleoptera) of the Neotropical Region
Photographic Catalog of the Cerambycidae of the World
Florida State Collection of Arthropods, Gainesville, FL (FSCA)
Museo de Historia Natural Noel Kempff Mercado, Santa Cruz, Bolivia (MNKM)
Museu de Ciências Naturais, Fundação Zoobotânica do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil (MCNZ)
Museu Nacional Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (MNRJ)
Museu de Zoologia Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil (MZSP)
Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. (USNM)
Zayas Collection, Havana, Cuba
- Monné, M.A. 2005a. Catalogue of the Cerambycidae (Coleoptera) of the Neotropical Region. Part I. Subfamily Cerambycinae. Zootaxa, 946: 1-765.
- Monné, M.A. 2005b. Catalogue of the Cerambycidae (Coleoptera) of the Neotropical Region. Part II. Subfamily Lamiinae. Zootaxa, 1023: 1-760.
- Monné, M.A. 2006. Catalogue of the Cerambycidae (Coleoptera) of the Neotropical Region. Part III. Subfamilies Parandrinae, Prioninae, Anoplodermatinae, Aseminae, Spondylidinae, Lepturinae, Oxypeltinae, and addenda to the Cerambycinae and Lamiinae. Zootaxa, 1212: 1-244.
- Monné, M.A. & L.G. Bezark. 2013. Checklist of the Oxypeltidae, Vesperidae, Disteniidae and Cerambycidae, (Coleoptera) of the Western Hemisphere. Available from: http://bezbycids.com/byciddb/wdefault.asp?w=n
- Wappes, J.E., Morris, R.F., Nearns, E.H., & Thomas, M.C. 2006. Preliminary checklist of Bolivian Cerambycidae (Coleoptera). Insecta Mundi, 20: 1-45.
- Wappes, J.E., Ledezma Arias, J., & Nearns, E.H. 2009. Coleoptera Holotypes in Museo de Historia Natural Noel Kempff Mercado, Universidad Autónoma "Gabriel René Moreno," Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia. Insecta Mundi, 0081: 1-8.